Apple cider vinegar has been used for decades in the kitchen and medicinal purposes. Hippocrates is believed to have prescribed ACV for a variety of ailments.
To get the health benefits of ACV, it has to be raw and unpasteurized, which keeps the beneficial enzymes and trace minerals intact.
Raw apple cider vinegar contains strands of enzymes and friendly bacteria that give the product a cloudy appearance. This part is known as the “mother.”
Many people believe that the “mother” is responsible for their health benefits. You can see it as darker cloudy strings at the bottom of the bottle.
How is apple cider vinegar made?
ACV is done in a two-step process. First, the apples are crushed and the liquid is squeezed. Yeast and bacteria are added to the liquid to begin the fermentation process. The sugars are converted into alcohol.
In the second fermentation process, the alcohol is converted into vinegar with bacteria that convert it into acetic acid, the active compound in vinegar.
Acetic acid isn’t vinegar; it is a bacterium that is found in vinegar and is a by-product of the fermentation process. This bacteria is responsible for the benefits you will read in this article.
6 Benefits of taking apple cider vinegar
1. It balances the sugar in the blood.
It has been shown that ACV has numerous benefits to improve the function of insulin and blood sugar levels. This is the benefit of most of the scientific data.
- 1 tablespoon of ACV in water before meals increases sensitivity to insulin and significantly reduces peak blood sugar during meals. It has an anti-glycemic effect.
- Improves insulin sensitivity in foods high in carbohydrates.
- Reduce blood sugar by eating bread.
- Two tablespoons of ACV in water before bed reduce fasting blood sugar levels and can help you sleep better.
2. Help in healthy weight loss.
The acetic acid in ACV has been shown in studies to increase satiety, helping you eat less food, which results in weight loss.
3. Reduce cravings.
The blood sugar balance aspect of ACV can reduce sweet cravings. If you are craving sugar, drink 8 ounces of water with 1 tablespoon of ACV and your cravings will disappear.
4. It improves cholesterol.
Studies have shown that ACV can protect cholesterol from oxidation or damage, which is the main risk of high cholesterol.
The ACV contains chlorogenic acids that help reduce LDL or bad cholesterol, preventing it from accumulating and crystallizing in the bloodstream.
5. Balances the pH and increases the stomach acid.
Even though acetic acid, the main component in apple cider vinegar is acid outside the body, like lemon water, it has an alkalizing impact on your body. It helps to balance your pH.
It has been clinically shown that acetic acid in the ACV stimulates the production of stomach acid in people with low LCH production. It can increase the body’s absorption of important minerals from the foods we eat.
6. It is a fantastic bacterial disinfectant and killer.
Hippocrates used vinegar to treat wounds more than 2000 years ago. Modern research has shown that it can kill certain types of bacteria such as S. aureus and E. coli. It might not be as effective as Clorox, but it is a much safer product to use in your home.
How do you use apple cider vinegar?
I love to take 1 spoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water before eating to help in better digestion and keep my pH levels balanced for better health throughout the body.
- To use apple cider vinegar to lose weight: Mix 2 tablespoons of ACV in 2 cups of water and drink it before lunch and dinner.
- ACV is good for washing vegetables: Fill the sink or a bowl with water, add a few large splashes of apple cider vinegar and soak for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Rinse and dry.
- For an effective natural household cleaner: Mix equal parts of ACV with water.
- Use apple cider vinegar in salad meals for an acidic and healthy flavor.
Be sure to use raw and unpasteurized ACV, such as Bragg’s apple cider vinegar. It contains all the enzymes and beneficial bacteria found in vinegar that are destroyed during pasteurization.
Where to buy apple cider vinegar
Looking for where to buy apple cider vinegar?, My best choice is Amazon, you can click the link below to get it.
Some precautions to take into account:
- ACV is not advisable for ladies who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- CVA can lower blood sugar levels. Therefore, patients with diabetes medications should consult with their primary care physician before using CVA for medicinal purposes.
- If you are taking digoxin (Lanoxin), insulin or diuretics, consult your doctor as these medications can reduce potassium levels. Large amounts of CVA can decrease potassium levels as well, and the combination can result in a potassium deficiency.
Meanwhile, apple cider vinegar is not a miracle cure, it is an excellent tonic for better health. One of my favorite recipes that use ACV is a salad of watercress and avocado.